Regardless of the size of your business, ensuring that you have the appropriate licenses for the software used by your company is vital to the ongoing welfare of your business. Some companies forget to renew these licenses or simply believe that once software is purchased or licensed initially, that they have a perpetual license.
Unfortunately this might not be true, so a thorough review of your software licensing agreements on an annual basis is always recommended.
However, if you are not convinced that maintaining up-to-date software licenses is an important part of your business, then here are 5 reasons that might change your mind:
- With the appropriate software licences, you can legally distribute the software throughout your organisation making sure that everyone can access the software they need to do their job. Without the appropriate licence, you might be committing a crime when you distribute the software to your employees.
- With licensed software, most companies also receive expert help and support for that software, as part of the licensing agreement. This means that you no longer have to spend your valuable time finding IT help when you are faced with a problem with the software, but you have instant help on the end of a phone.
- The more software you purchase and the greater it’s distribution within your organisation, the larger the discount you can receive. Volume licensing is a very cost effective way to fund top of the line software, especially for a large number of employees across an organisation.
- You don’t have to worry about losing access to the software, because your license has suddenly expired. Forgetting to renew a licence or not purchasing the correct type of licence can result in your employees being unable to access the software they need. This can be a huge problem to your productivity, and can result in your inability to deliver client jobs on time with a subsequent hard knock to your reputation.
- With a licencing agreement, you know that you have a legal copy of the software and your company is legally allowed to use the software. With all of the hacking and pirating that goes on in the industry today, it is good to know that your company will be safe from any issues concerning the illegal use of software, at any time in the future. For example, Microsoft office which is used by many companies, is one of the most pirated software packages in the world, even though it is easily affordable with services such as Office 365.